Our Aim is to:
- Develop income sources in rural areas prone to poverty.
- Enable women to develop sustainable business ideas.
- Build on existing craft and enterprise skills.
- Produce high quality products that appeal to the national and international consumer.
- Expand access to local, national and international markets.
Our Mission is to:
- To fight hunger and poverty in a sustainable manner by empowering women through the building of skills development in order to create their own business micro-enterprises.
Zimele Developing Community Self-Reliance is a non-profit organisation based in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. We bring sustainable and lasting change to communities through our social enterprise development and women’s empowerment projects. We work in remote, impoverished rural areas since our inception in early 2007. Zimele is a Zulu word and means “people stand on their own feet” and the project has proved successful by achieving lasting change and transforming the lives of the poor. Zimele Community acts as a facilitator, leading women towards belief in their personal ability to work their way out of poverty; thus reducing poverty, injustice and building democratic values.